Mocha Chip Scones
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (for brushing)
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar (for sprinkling)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Dissolve the espresso powder in 1 tablespoon of hot water, set aside.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture has the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Add the chocolate chips.
Combine the buttermilk, espresso and vanilla separately, then pour into a well in the dry ingredients. Use a fork to combine until the mixture is wet, but do not knead.
Put the mixture onto a floured surface and gather it together. Gently pat it into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Roll out any remaining dough and cut into more scones.
Brush the top of each scone with cream and then sprinkle with sugar.
Bake the scones for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned.