Hearty Chili Recipe
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- black pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, bulk
- 24 oz (1 can) crushed tomatoes
- 24 oz (1 can) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 8 oz (1 can) tomato sauce
- 15 oz (1 can) pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz (1 can) red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- In a large pot over medium heat, toss the onions, bell peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle in spices (chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper) to toast.
- Add beef and sausage, stir and break up until crumbly and browned and cooked through.
- Add tomoatoes, tomato sauce, and beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook 1 1/2 hours, stirring on occasion.
- Sprinkle cheese.