Lentil, Bonito Tuna and Sherried Rice Salad Recipe
Cook Time: 30 minutes|
- 500ml fish (or vegetable) stock
- 100ml sherry
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 large bay leaf, bruised
- 8 tbsp (120ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallot, finely chopped (about 3 shallots)
- 200g Bomba rice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved and grated (leaving the skin)
- 1 lentils, rinsed and drained
- 250g white tuna in olive oil, drained and separated into large flaked
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into a 1 cm / 1/2” dice (most of a medium cucumber)
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- basil leaves to garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat the stock, sherry, oregano, and bay leaf to just below simmering; check for salt.
- In a second saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of the olive over a medium heat; add the shallot and cook for a few minutes until the shallot starts to soften; add the rice and garlic, stirring well to coat with oil.
- Stir in the stock, bring to a simmer, cover and cook, without further stirring, over a very low setting until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for a further 5 minutes; transfer the rice to a salad bowl, remove the bay leaf and stir lightly with a fork.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, vinegar, and grated tomato; season with salt and several grinds of black pepper.
- When the rice has cooled stir in the lentils, cucumber and dressing, combining well; gently fold in the tuna flakes.
- On each salad plate, place a bed of the spinach leaves then the rice salad.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves.