Cantabrian Anchovy Salad Recipe
- 4 little gem lettuce hearts
- 300g waxy salad potatoes, steamed, left to cool in a colander then cut into 2cm pieces
- 12 artichoke hearts, drained well and cut into quarters
- 12 piquillo peppers, cut into quarters
- 32 black olives
- small handful basil leaves, torn
- 170g Cantabrian anchovy fillets
- 8 quails eggs
- 80ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 20ml (4 tsp) vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- Hard boil the quails eggs in gently boiling water for about 3 minutes, then plunge into cool water for two minutes before peeling and halving.
Compose the salad on 4 salad plates:
- Start with a base of whole lettuce leaves, followed by the potatoes, artichokes, olives and basil leaves, place the egg halves, and finish with the anchovy fillets.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad.
- Accompany with a fresh crusty baguette or slices of toasted country bread.
Variation: Use an allioli dressing.
Option: If quails eggs not available, replace with 8 quarters of hardboiled hens eggs.