Cheesy Bacon & Egg Casserole Recipe
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes|
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp mustard, ground
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13x9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with cottage cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour into baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.