Fried Potato Dumplings Recipe
Servings: 16 dumplings
- 3 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilis, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp black gram
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- curry leaves
- 3/4 cup gram flour
- 1.5 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 1 tbsp hot oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds. Add black gram and fry, until it turns brown.
- Add chopped onion, curry leaves and green chilli and cook until the onion becomes soft, no need to brown it.
- Add turmeric powder and cook for 1 minute, remove from fire. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add cooked onion mixture, salt and lemon juice to mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Make balls of equal size from the potato mixture.
- Mix together besan, rice flour, chilli powder, asafetida, hot oil, baking soda and salt.
- Add ½ - ¾ cup water and make a thick batter. The consistency of the batter should be medium thick.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan. When the oil becomes really hot, reduce the flame to low-medium.
- Dip poatato balls in the batter and fry in the hot oil. Flip the balls after a min or two. Fry until it becomes golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and chutney