Espresso Cupcakes Recipe
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes|
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant espresso coffee powder (more if using regular coffee)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 container (4 oz, 125 g) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp instant espresso coffee powder (more if using regular coffee)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 100 g (3.5 oz) dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Beat butter until softened.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and instant espresso in a small sized bowl using a whisk to combine.
- Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 1/2 full.
- Bake at 350*F for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick test is clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Fillng & Icing
- In medium bowl, beat mascarpone cheese, milk, 2 tsp espresso powder and the powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into decorating bag fitted with 1/4-inch writing tip.
- To fill each cupcake, insert tip of bag into center of cooled cupcake; gently squeeze bag until cupcake expands slightly but does not burst, about 1 tbsp.
- Heat the cream in a double boiler until it just starts to boil.
- Pour in the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted and integrated with the cream.
- While it is still warm, spread a thin layer of it over the cupcakes. It will harden when it cools.
- Decorate with white chocolate shavings and serve.